Pumpkin fritters are delightful, especially when served warm with crunchy cinnamon sugar. You can just about serve it as desert.
- 1 cup cooked pumpkin, mashed and well-drained
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup flour
- Pinch of salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Oil for frying
- Cinnamon sugar
- Ensure that the pumpkin is well drained. Beat eggs and add to pumpkin and mix.
- Add the rest of the of the ingredients, except for the oil and cinnamon sugar. Mix well into a thick batter.
- Heat a heavy pan, using medium to high heat to start with. Add a little oil.
- Scoop up heaped tablespoons of batter, and drop into pan, but not too close together.
- Fry until bubbles form on the top surface. They should now be firm and golden on the underside.
- Flip over and fry on other side.
- The fritters will puff up slightly while cooking. To test, press lightly on the fritters. When done, they will tend to spring back.
- Remove from pan and drain on kitchen paper.
- Serve warm with plenty of crunchy cinnamon-flavoured sugar.