You don't really need a recipe to make curry mince for your vetkoek; all you need is onion, your favourite spices, and minced meat. You can add anything you like to that, from garlic and raisins, to Worcester sauce and frozen veggies.
This recipe is based on the mince sauce used in our bobotie recipe.
- 1 large onion or 2 small onions (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 350 to 400 gram lean mince
- 1 ½ teaspoon (7 ml) ginger
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) mild curry powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons (7 ml) turmeric
- ¾ teaspoon (4 ml) salt
- dash of pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 25 ml (2 tablespoons) chutney
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) apricot jam
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) vinegar
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) worcester sauce
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) tomato paste
- 1 peeled potato (cubed)
- Heat the spices gently in a heavy saucepan.
- Add butter and onion and fry until soft.
- Add garlic and fry for a minute or so.
- Add mince, sultanas, chutney, apricot jam, vinegar, Worcester sauce and tomato paste.
- Add cubed potato. Simmer covered for at least ½ hour.
Serve warm with vetkoek.