Passionfruit adds a lovely new twist to a traditional lemon meringue pie. This lovely new variation was recently introduced as a promotional recipe by Nestle South-Africa, for their Full Cream Sweetened Condensed Milk. This is our adapted recipe.
- 180 gram (3/4 of a 250 gram packet) Marie or Vanilla Wine biscuits (finely crushed)
- 100 gram butter (melted)
- Zest of 2 lemons
- 1 can (397 gram) Condensed milk
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) lemon or lime juice
- 3 eggs, the yolks separated from the whites
- 3 fresh granadillas or 1x110 gram tinned granadilla or 1/2 bottle of 230 gram tasti passionfruit in syrup
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) castor sugar
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) vinegar
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) cornflour
- Combine crushed biscuits, half of the lemon zest and melted butter and press into a pie dish
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C
- Whisk together condensed milk, lemon juice, second half of the lemon zest, egg yolks and passionfruit pulp.
- Pour into the pie dish that you lined with the crushed biscuits.
- Beat egg whites until firm, while gradually adding castor sugar. Beat in vinegar and cornflour to stabilise the meringue.
- Pile meringue on top of filling.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until lightly browned.
Chill before serving.