A basic recipe for vanilla cake. It is the perfect cake to turn into something special such as a birthday cake, for instance, or even a custard cake for Easter.
- 2 cups (500 ml) flour
- 1 2/3 cup (400 ml) sugar
- 3 teaspoon (15 ml) baking powder
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) salt
- ½ cup (125 ml) canola or rice oil (you can reduce it to 1/3 cup (90 ml) of oil)
- ¾ cup (200 ml) cold water
- 7 extra large eggs
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) vanilla
- ½ teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) cream of tartar
- Sift together: flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt, in this order.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients. Add the canola or rice oil, egg yolks, cold water, and vanilla.
- Mix until smooth.
- Whisk egg whites until stiff and then add cream of tartar. Gradually fold dough into egg whites.
- Turn batter into greased and lined tins. Use two 23 cm round pans, or a chiffon pan.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes at 180°C, or a bit longer if you used a chiffon pan.
- Turn out onto a wire rack to cool.