An old time favourite - pap, wors en sous (porridge, sausage and sauce) - served as a one-dish meal.
- 600 gram boerewors (South African sausage)
- 2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups maize meal (pap)
- Salt and pepper
- ¾ cup (200 ml) grated Cheddar or Tasty cheese
- Optional: ¼ cup (60 ml) frozen corn to add to porridge
For the sheba sauce
- 410 gram tin of tomato and onion
- Garlic and mild or hot chilli, according to taste, added to tomato and onion mixture
- Heat oven to 180°C
- Grease a round, medium sized ovenproof dish.
- Keep the wors in a spiral and fry it in a heated saucepan until brown and cooked. Alternatively, barbeque the wors.
- Remove from saucepan.
- Boil the water in a saucpan. Add ½ teaspoon salt. Add the maize meal, stir with a wooden spoon, and simmer until cooked.
- Add a little grated cheese to the stiff porridge. Taste and season with more salt and pepper if needed.
- Add frozen corn if used. Put the porridge / "stywe pap" in the ovendish.
- Place the boerewors on top in its spiral shape.
- Heat tomato and onion mixture, salt, pepper, garlic and chilli, and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Pour the sauce over the sausage and sprinkle cheese over.
- Bake 20 - 30 minutes.