Melktert shooters (melktertjies in Afrikaans) are contemporary South African shooters.
A melktertjie smells and tastes like melktert (South African milk tart) but with quite a bit of kick. One shot can turn those who have never bothered with shooters or cocktails before, into melktert shooter enthusiasts.
There are a few variations of this most sought-after recipe, but the basic ingredients remain the same. We settled for the following melktertjie recipe.
Makes approximately 860 ml.
- One 375 ml bottle Vodka (you can reduce it to 300 ml if you prefer less kick)
- One 395 gram (300ml) tin of condensed milk (use up to two cans to make it thicker and sweeter)
- Half of a 375 ml tin evaporated milk
- Ground cinnamon to serve
- Mix well, using a food processer or whisk, and bottle, or simply pour the ingredients into a 1-litle bottle and shake well.
- Keep in the fridge. Shake well before pouring into shooter or shot glasses.
- Sprinkle each melktertjie with ground cinnamon and serve chilled.