- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter or oil
- 2 r more cloves of garlic, crushed
- 4 large, ripe tomatoes, finely chopped, or a 400 gram can of tinned, whole tomatoes, chopped (don't drain)
- 1 capsicum / greenpepper (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon sugar
- Salt and black pepper
- Fresh herbs - basil, parsley, oregano, to taste
- Lightly brown the onion in butter or oil.
- Add remaining ingredients and cook briskly, uncovered, for about 10 minutes until the sauce thickens.
If you prefer a spicy Chakalaka sauce, you can add stronger flavours to this basic tomato and onion sauce, such as chilli, ginger, paprika, or curry powder.
For a healthier option, add grated carrot and or tinned beans.