Orange juice rusks have a refreshing citrus flavour, and are ideal for people with lactose-intolerance when made with dairy free margarine.
- 1.5kg self-raising flour
- 2 cups (400 gram) sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoon (7 ml) baking powder
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) salt
- 500 gram butter or dairy free margarine
- 2 ½ cups (625 ml) freshly squeezed orange juice
- Zest of at least 2 oranges
- 2 extra large (number 7) eggs
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C. Grease oven pan.
- Sift together self-raising flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Rub butter and lemon zest into the flour mixture.
- Whisk egg and orange juice together. Add to flour mixture and knead into a soft dough.
- Spoon the dough into the greased oven pan, or form into small balls which you can place tightly against each other.
- Bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour until golden (you can use a skewer to test it; when it comes out clean, the rusks are done).
- Cool slightly before turning the tin out and let it cool down.
- Slice the bread into slices and cut into fingers (or break pieces
- Place on a drying rack and dry in oven at 80°C until the rusks are dry.
- Let it cool completely and store in an air-tight container.