Scrolls are delicious and economical, and great fun to make and eat.
We enjoy them as morning or afternoon snacks, served as a side when we have soup, and in our lunch boxes.
Makes 14 to 16 scrolls.
- 4 teaspoons (20 ml) Surebake instant yeast
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) salt
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) sugar
- 600 gram bread flour
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) milk powder (optional)
- 1¼ cups (300 ml) water
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) oil
- 1 large egg
- Approximately 2 to 3 cups grated cheese - you can reduce the cheese if you use a strong flavour such as cheddar (Tasty)
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) of melted butter
In addition to the cheese, we often use leftovers from the fridge as filling. The possibilities are endless, but we listed a few ideas to get you going at the bottom of the page.
- We use our bread machine's dough cycle to make the dough. Let the dough rise to double it's size and knead down again.
- Place dough on a large, flat floured surface.
- Use a rolling pin to flatten dough into a rectangle of approximately 45 mm x 35 mm.
- Spread your filling over the dough. See below for ideas.
- Use your fingers to lift and roll dough into a long roll. Pinch the seam to seal in the filling.
- Transfer to a cutting surface and use a sharp knife to cut into 14 to 16 wheels. A carving knife works well.
- Place on baking tray and let it prove, in a warm place, for 30 minutes until doubled in size.
- Bake in oven preheated to 200°C for 10 minutes, turn the baking tray around, and bake for another 10 minutes until golden brown
They are excellent warm and fresh, but can be frozen.
Ideas for fillings:
Onion and ham scrolls: sauté an onion or two in olive oil until golden brown, then add chopped garlic and thyme and sauté for one more minute. Spread over the dough and top with grated cheese.
Cheesymite scrolls: dissolve vegemite or marmite in approximately 2 tablespoons of melted butter (to make it easier to spread) and finish off with grated cheese.
Ham or bacon and cheese scrolls: finely sliced ham, or fried bacon, and grated cheese. You can add chopped chives and parsley.