Yellow rice (geelrys)
Aromatic and beautifully coloured, yellow rice is essential with bobotie and the perfect companion to chicken pie.
1 cup (250 ml) rice
- 4 cups (1 liter) water
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) salt
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) turmeric
- 1 cinnamon quill
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) seedless raisins or currants
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) butter
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) yellow , brown or raw sugar
- Boil water.
- Add salt, turmeric, and then the rice and boil rapid for 20 minutes.
- Use a colander to drain water.
- Add cinnamon and raisins and steam for an hour over boiling water.
- Remove cinnamon and add butter and sugar.
- Serve warm.
- Boil 3 cups of water.
- Add all the ingredients, and boil until the water has been absorbed.