Volkoringbeskuit (wholewheat rusks)
Wholewheat rusks are high in fibre and therefore quite healthy.
- 2 cups flour
- 3 tablespoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 6 cups wholewheat flour
- 1 cup bran
- 1 cup sunflower seed, blanched in boiling water for 30 seconds
- 500 gram butter
- 3 large or 4 small eggs
- 1 ½ cup sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup milk
- ½ t lemon juice
Optional: add 1 cup of sultanas and ½ cup of mixed glazed peel to flour mixture. Add a bit more milk if necessary
- Line oven pan with foil or baking paper
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt together
- Add wholewheat flour, bran and sunflower seeds and mix well
- Rub butter in flour mixture
- Whisk eggs and sugar together. Add milk, lemon juice and mix well.
- Add milk to flour mixture and mix
- Roll dough lightly in gholf ball sized balls.
- Pack these, touching one another, into the greased tins. Do not pack close to the edges of the tins, as the dough will rise considerably.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 200°C, reduce heat to 180°C and bake another 30 minutes.The rusks should be well-risen and golden-brown on top.
- Test with a skewer
- Cool slightly before turning the tin out and let it cool down
- Break the soft rusks apart and stack them loosely and at an angle, one row supporting the next
- Dry overnight in a cool oven of about 80°C. They must dry out completely.