Stewed Fruit Salad for Breakfast
Dried fruit such as apple rings, apricot, peach, pear, and prune is delicious when stewed. It is a healthy breakfast too, especially if you serve it with natural, unflavoured yoghurt.
New Zealanders will find dried fruit in the bins at your local Countdown Supermarket. (For non-Kiwi readers: a bin is a large container from which you take as much or little as you need. You pay per weight.)
- 250 gram dried fruit with stones removed
- 1½ cups strong hot rooibos (red bush) tea
- Cinnamon quill
- Cardomon pod (optional)
- Sugar to taste (optional)
- Use a heat-resistant container.
- Cover the fruit with the desired amount of hot tea, add spices and cover the container.
- Leave overnight.
- If it is not plump enough, boil the fruit the next morning. Add extra water if required.
- Optional: add sugar to taste shortly before removing the saucepan from the stove. However, the fruit is already sweet, and it is not really necessary.
- Serve with plain white yogurt.