Spog-sjokolade koekies (chocolate-filled shortbread)
These dainty, chocolate filled shortbread barrels are simply delicious.
They are ideal as a special treat over the Christmas season, a gift for friends, or when you need to take-a-plate.
The bonus is that they are also very easy to make.
- 200 gram butter
- 1/4 cup (50 ml) castor sugar
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) water
1 teaspoon (5 ml) vanilla and 2 teaspoons (10 ml) water
- 2 cups (500 ml) flour
- 200 - 250 gram slab chocolate
- In South Africa: use two 100 gram slabs of whole-nut chocolate
- In New Zealand: use a 250 gram slab of Whittaker's Dark Almond with 62% Cocoa
- Of course you use your favourite flavour too.
- Icing sugar to dust
- Cream butter and sugar together.
- Add water. Add flour and mix thoroughly.
- Cut chocolate into blocks.
- Fold each block of chocolate into enough dough to cover it completely. The dough wrapping should be about 5 mm thick.
- Roll it between the palms of your hands to shape it into a barrel.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 180°C for 15 to 20 minutes. It should have the colour of straw, but should not be brown.
- Dust with icing sugar while biscuits are still warm.