These delectable muffins are also known as cappuccino chocolate chip muffins, but we think of them as “mochacchino muffins”, in honour of the caffè mocha, that king of drinks made from espresso, steamed milk and chocolate. Make sure that you enjoy it with the very best coffee you can lay your hands on.
Yield 12 standard sized muffins
- 5 teaspoons to 2 tablespoons (25 ml to 30 ml) strong instant coffee (we use Moccona)
- ½ cup (115 gram) butter
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 2 cups flour
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup (100 to 120 gram) chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Spray a 12-cup muffin tin with cooking spray.
- Dissolve the coffee in 3 tablespoons boiled water.
- Add butter and let it melt into the warm coffee mixture. You can also put it in the microwave for a few seconds, stir, and microwave again.
- Add milk and whisk in egg into the liquid.
- Flavour with vanilla
- In a separate container, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
- Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and pour in milk mixture. Stir until just evenly blended. Don’t stir too much!
- Gently stir in the chocolate chips.
- Spoon the batter into the greased muffin cups.
- Bake 18 to 20 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted in centre of muffin comes out clean.