Marietjie's mum was a master at making melt in the mouth beef. Jaco discovered it recently and now Marietjie's husband cooks her mum's speciality.
- 750 gram beef steak, in reasonably thin cuts
- 1/2 cup flour
- 3 cups stock or 2 cups water and 1 cup beef stock
- 1 to 2 onions
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Worcester sauce
- 2 tablespoons cornflour
- ½ teaspoon red pepper
- Black pepper
- Dash of white pepper
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- Flavour meat with salt and pepper and then cover with flour.
- Flatten steak by chopping it with the side of a saucer, the bottom of a glas bottle,
or a meat hammer.
- Fry steak in batches in a bit of butter in a hot pan, until brown.
- Place steak in an oven-proof dish.
- Fry onion in the same pan.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the onion and bring to boil.
- Pour contents of pan over the steak.
- Bake slowly at 160°C in oven for 3 hours.
Serve with rice.