Mince roll (vleisrol)
This mince roll is a contemporary South African dish, rather than traditional. It is easy and fast to prepare, but is definitely not cooking out of a tin either!
- 1 packet of Puff Pastry
- 3 to 4 table spoons chutney
- 400 gram mince
- 2 tablespoons uncooked oats
- 1 egg
- Onion, finely chopped (optional, for flavour)
- Grated cheese
- Salt and pepper according to taste
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- Your favourite herbs
- 1 teaspoon Worcester sauce
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- Tomato sauce to garnish
- Parsley to garnish
- Roll puff pastry into rectangular shape.
- Season the mince and oats with salt, pepper, garlic, herbs, Worcester sauce and tomato paste.
- Beat egg and lightly mix into meat.
- Form the meat into a long roll.
- Place the meat onto the centre of the pastry.
- Sprinkle grated cheese on top.
- Fold the pastry over the meat and ensure that edges are sealed to prevent the juices from escaping.
- Bake on an oven plate at 180ºC for about an hour.
- Remove from oven 10 minutes before its done, sprinkle with cheese and return to oven.
- Season with tomato sauce and parsley.
Serve with mash and salad.