Mayonaise and chutney chicken (vra-na-meer-hoender)
Mayonnaise and chutney may sound like an unusual combination for a chicken casserole, but this saucy, flavoursome dish is much-loved in South Africa. It never fails to increase the appetite of your guests, who will invariably ask for more chicken, or, as we say in Afrikaans, "vra na meer hoender".
Our additive-free, healthier recipe
(as shown on photograph)
- 6 to 8 chicken portions, or a whole chicken (the cooking time will be longer)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon Worcester sauce
- ¾ to 1 cup chutney
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup water
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 to 8 chicken portions
- 1 packet brown onion soup powder or 1 onion, chopped
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup chutney
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- Salt and pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 160°C
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper and put in oven-proof casserole dish.
- If using a fresh onion, sauté gently for 10 to 15 minutes until the onions are soft and has a golden colour. Do not burn it. Add ¼ cup water, chopped garlic and Worcester sauce.
- If using onion soup powder, mix soup powder and boiling water.
- Mix onion with chutney and mayonnaise, and pour sauce over chicken.
- Cover casserole dish and bake in oven at 160°C for 1½ hours if you used chicken portions, or 2 to 2 ½ hours if it's a whole chicken.
Serve with rice and fresh, mixed salad.