Slap pap (maize meal porridge)
Slap pap is a smooth maize meal porridge served with milk for breakfast, usually with a little sugar or even butter.
- 3/4 to 1 cup maize meal
- 1 cup of cold water
- 3 cups boiling water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Boil water and salt in a pot with a lid.
- Mix maize meal with cold water.
- Stir into the boiling water.
- Simmer for at least 30 minutes with the lid on.
- Add a dollop of butter.
- Serve with milk and sugar or honey.
Tip: soak the maize meal and cold water overnight to reduce cooking time.