Koffiekoekies / coffee biscuits
Koffiekoekies (coffee biscuits), with it's coffee-fudge filling, was Marietjie's father's ultimate favourite biscuit.
Indeed, these biscuits are regarded as a bit of a luxury in South Africa because they are delicious, and also because it's hard work to make them. But the result is such a delightful mixture of textures and flavours, that it's well worth the effort.
- 1 kg cake flour (approximately 7 1/3 cups)
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) salt
- 1 1/3 cups (330 ml) Demerara (yellow) sugar
- 400 gram butter
- 1 cup (250 ml) golden syrup or honey
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) very strong black coffee (you can use a strong instant ciffee such as Moccona, but should use at least 6 teaspoons)
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) vanilla essence
Coffee fudge filling
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) strong instant coffee (for instance, Moccona); use 2 1/2 tablespoons if using weaker instant coffee
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) boiling water
- 1 1/2 cup (375 ml) white sugar
- 150 g butter or margarine
- 1/3 cup + 2 teaspoons (100 ml) milk
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) vanilla
- Sift the cake flour and salt together in a large mixing bowl.
- Melt the butter, sugar and golden syrup in a saucepan and stir until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and cool.
- Add vanilla to cooled mixture.
- Dissolve the bicarbonate of soda in a little coffee. Add this mixture, and the rest of the coffee, to the cooled butter and syrup mixture.
- Add to flour and knead well to form soft dough. Cover and leave overnight.
- Use a sausage maker with a cookie fitting to form long strips of dough. You'll need a second person to help you! Although her mother used an electric mincer, Marietjie use an old Meat Mincer / Sausage Maker that is cranked by hand.
- Cut the cookies into even lengths. A square 5 cm cookie cutter is ideal.
- Place on greased cookie sheets and bake at 200 ºC for about 12 minutes until golden brown and baked through.
- Cool the biscuits on wire racks.
- To make the filling, dissolve the coffee in the boiling water and add the remaining ingredients, except the vanilla.
- Boil for 8 minutes, uncovered.
- Remove from the stove, and beat with a wooden spoon until thick and cooled.
- Sandwich the biscuits together with the coffee fudge filling.