Green Beans and Potatoes
This very traditional "boerekos" vegetable dish has a unique combination of flavours.
- 300 g green beans, topped and tailed and sliced as finely as possible
- 1 potato, cubed
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 clove of garlic, chopped (optional)
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) salt
- 1/2 teaspoon (2 ml) white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon (2 ml) freshly grated nutmeg
- Butter for frying
- Fry onion in a tablespoon of butter.
- Add potato and add a little bit of water to steam the potato.
- Cook covered for 5 minutes.
- Add beans and a little water if necessary.
- Simmer for 20 to 30 minutes until tender.
- Mash it with a fork and season to taste with salt, white pepper, nutmeg and a little butter.
You can add lamb to turn it into a stew. Brown the meat to seal in its juices before adding first the onion and then potato.