Gemmerkoekies (Ginger nuts)
Both Marietjie's mother and grandmother were known for their delicious ginger nuts. They are made from a soft dough, rolled into little balls, resulting in gemmerkoekies that are soft and chewy on the inside and crispy outside.
- 2 cups (500 ml) flour
- 75 gram butter
- ¾ cup (200 ml) sugar
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) syrup
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) baking soda
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) mixed spice
- 2 teaspoons ginger
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) milk
- 1 extra large egg
- 5 ml cream of tartar
- ½ teaspoon (2 ml) salt
- Sift dry ingredients together, except baking soda.
- Melt butter, sugar, syrup. Remove from heat.
- Dissolve baking soda in milk and add to syrup.
- Add whisked egg to cooled down syrup.
- Add syrup to flour and spice mixture and knead well.
- Roll dough into little balls and flatten somewhat with your thumb.
- Bake in oven of 180°C for 10 - 15 minutes.