Game is a big thing in South-Africa, especially during the hunting season in the winter. Because game meat such as Springbok or Kudu is not available in New Zealand, this recipe uses deer venison.
- 600 gram venison, cut into smaller pieces
- 100 gram pork bacon
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 or more cloves of garlic
- 6 small onions or 2 large chopped onions
- 1 celery stick
- 80 gram chopped dried apple rings
- ½ cup dry red wine
- ½ cup beef stock
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ cup cream (optional)
- 2 teaspoons fresh parsley
- Fry bacon in pre-heated pan.
- Add meat, brown, and remove from pan.
- Add butter. Fry garlic, onion and celery until onion is soft.
- Reduce heat and add browned meat, stock, salt and pepper. Simmer gently until nearly soft (1 to 1½ hour).
- Add liquid if necessary.
- Add apple rings and simmer for 30 minutes longer.
- Remove from heat and add cream and parsley.
Serve on rice.