Homemade Fruit Mince
Although you can buy Fruit Mince (used for Fruit Mince Pies) at a good supermarket, making your own is fun and more economical, and tastes better.
This recipe makes 3½ cups fruit mince.
- 1½ (275 gram) cups finely chopped raisins
- 1 cup (150 gram) chopped sultanas
- ¼ cup finely chopped dried apricots
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped glace cherries
- 2 tablespoons chopped almonds
- ½ cup mixed glazed peel
- 1/3 cup currants
- 1 apple, peeled and coarsely grated
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup soft brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ cup brandy
- 60 gram melted butter
- Combine all the ingredients in a large mixing bowl and mix well with a wooden spoon.
- Spoon fruit mince mixture into airtight containers or sterilised jars and seal well.