Crunchy cereal biscuits (Knarskoekies)
If you like crunchy biscuits, you will most probably love these cereal biscuits as much as we do.
This is a slightly adapted version of a recipe published in the Afrikaans "Idees" magazine.
Yields about 48.
- 140 gram butter, softened
- 1 cup (210 gram) sugar
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon (3 ml) ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon (1 ml) salt
- ½ teaspoon (3 ml) baking powder
- 1¼ cup (170 gram) flour
- 1 cup (100 gram) dried coconut
- 1 cup (100 g) oats
- 1 cup popped rice ("Rice Crispies" in South Africa; "Ricies" in NZ)
For decoration: about 5 glazed cherries, roughly chopped OR hundreds and thousands OR chocolate hail
- Beat the butter, sugar and egg together until creamy.
- Add the vanilla extract, salt and cinnamon and mix in well.
- Sift flour and baking powder over the mixture.
- Add the dried coconut and oats and mix.
- Add the Rice Crispies / Ricies and knead gently into the mixture.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C.
- Roll the dough into small balls and place on baking sheets. (You can roll these balls through extra Ricies, for extra crunch.)
- Flatten the balls of dough slightly with a fork.
- Decorate each flattened ball with glazed cherry pieces or hundreds and thousands.
- Bake for about 15 minutes. They should be done when they start to change colour.
- Allow to cool on the baking sheets and transfer to cooling rack. Cool completely before storing them in an air-tight container.