Corn, avocado, biltong and tomato salad
A Kiwi friend introduced us to corn, avocado and tomato salad. Marietjie experimented a little by adding biltong and cheese to it, and found this addition adds a lovely South African character.
Serves 4 as salad or 2 as main course
- 1 tin (1x 410 gram) whole corn, drained you can also use 1 1/2 cups frozen corn, defrosted in a sieve under running tap water)
- 1 large, just ripe avocado, cut into cubes
2 tablespoons chopped chives
2 spring onions sliced
2 tablespoons finely chopped red onion
- 2 tomatoes, cut into cubes or wedges
- 70 gram sliced biltong (or a smoked chicken breast, cut into bite-sized chunks)
- Optional: 1/4 cup diced or grated cheese
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Up to 1/4 cup vinaigrette
Toss all ingredients together and season to taste
Prepared salad can be stored in the fridge for up to 2 hours.