Condensed milk biscuits
These lovely biscuits, also known as Highlander biscuits, are great for a coffee-time nibble, and can be baked with or without chocolate chips. This traditional New Zealand recipe is similar to the South African version, the main difference being that New Zealand's condensed milk biscuits are made without egg.
- 220 gram butter, slightly softened
- 110 gram (1/2 cup) sugar
- 1/3 cup (90 ml) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) vanilla extract
- 340 gram (2 1/4 cups) flour
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) baking powder
- Optional: 110 gram (2/3 cup) choc chips
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Cream butter and sugar together.
- Beat in condensed milk and vanilla extract.
- Add flour and baking powder, stir until combined.
- Knead into a ball. If you're using optional choc chips, knead it in now, mixing well.
- Roll dough into small balls and place on oven trays.
- To decorate, press each ball gently with a fork, or a biscuit or butter press (as shown in the photo).
- Bake for about 12 minutes until the edges are straw coloured.
- Let it cool on a rack.