Chicken, brocolli and cheese bake
This is a lovely casserole, comforting and just a wee bit spicy.
- 1 Chicken, cooked, de-boned and cut into bite sized pieces
- 300 to 500 gram frozen broccoli, or 1½ to 2 broccoli heads
- 1 x 420 gram can condensed Cream of Mushroom soup
1 cup chicken stock
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) curry powder
- black pepper and salt to taste
- 1 to 1½ cups grated cheese
- ¼ cup butter (melted)
- ¾ cup dried bread crumbs
Note: Amounts depends on the dish it is going to be baked in, the larger the dish, the more ingredients you'll need to make a layer.
- Cut cooked chicken into bite sized chunks. Place in dish.
- Scatter optional rice over chicken.
- Steam broccoli lightly. If using fresh broccoli, break it in florets before steaming it. Put on top of chicken.
- Mix tin of Cream of Mushroom soup, mayonnaise, lemon juice, curry powder, salt and pepper together. If you have a bit of stock available from the chicken that you cooked, add it as well.
- Top with grated cheddar cheese.
- Melt butter and mix with bread crumbs. Use as topping on casserole.
- Bake for about half an hour in an oven of 180°C until golden brown.
If you use a deep dish, you'll need to bake it for longer, while baking in a shallow dish will be faster.
Some people prefer to add the rice to the casserole, and some people prefer to serve the casserole on either rice or noodles.