All Bran Beskuit (Rusks)
Two or three rusks and a hot drink can replace a meal, especially if the rusks are made from ingredients that are high in fibre, such as All Bran.
- 500g butter
- 1¾ cups sugar
- 2 cups (500 ml) buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 3 large eggs
- 1 kg self-raising flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) salt
- 6 cups (240g) All-Bran wheat flakes
- 1 ¼ cup (100g) uncooked oats
- ½ cup (100 gram) chopped pecan nuts or chopped almonds
- Optional: Reduce All Bran to 4 cups and add 2 cups of muesli
- Melt the butter and let it cool down.
- Beat eggs, sugar and buttermilk into the melted butter.
- Sift the self-raising flour, baking powder and salt together.
- Add All-Bran, uncooked oats and pecan nuts.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients.
- Ladle in a large oven pan (330 x 280 mm), lined with foil or baking paper.
- Bake for 25 minutes in an oven of 200°C. Reduce the heat to 180°C for another 25 minutes or more, until golden brown.
- Cool slightly before turning the tin out and let it cool down.
- Slice into slices and then cut into fingers. Place on a drying rack and dry in oven at 80°C until the rusks are dry, crunchy and brittle.
- After they cooled down, place in an air tight container.
Dunk the rusks in a hot drink and eat.